|Only a few small items were removed during the stay at KTF. The rest got their dose of CRC medicine regularly. It is when the car at last gets "home" that the real changing of hide may begin.|
|The head appears to have be exchanged at some time in the past. Cast in
production registration states it as made in September of 1971. It is equipped with the
large valves and appears to have been reworked. Maybe it was when the red MGB at some
time in the past got its very classy three tone green upholstery and the metallic BRG
As all the small items and parts are dismantled, they get a round of beadblasting and a new coat of epoxy primer. A few of the parts even need some repair work. Rust and wear has to be compensated. My eperience is that there is one primer worth using for this purpose, and that is an epoxy filling primer which effectively will seal and protect the cleaned parts and prevent rust from reappearing...
|Where more serious filling is necessary this is done with polyester fillers.
Final finish is with a few layers of 2K acrylics, a wet sanding and then a careful last
glossy coat. Painting of all parts should be in their right colours, some yellow,
some black and some in the colour of the car|
Deciding on a car colour isn't easy, but original 1966 it should be, Everybody loves the Tartan red, so there are many red roadsters around. Mine WAS red. I'll paint the rear boot lid in BMC 38 Blue Royale just to see...
|Earlier in my restoration I have been searching the Ebay for MGB bargains for my project. I have made a few
hits and bought parts from a British company called
Mechspec. The company is run by a friendly and busy chap called Dave Parker.|
It appears he has good background in running and wrenching MGBs
He is a licensed dealer with the producers of new bodies for MGBs and made me a good offer for a new MkI body. Apparently it takes British Heritage Motors some time to get these early MGB specials through the works because of the changes in jigging. Mine took its time
|At home the body was lifted off the
car trailer. Kept it suspended for quite a some time just inspecting the details|
Then I made up adapters going instead of the bumpers to provide for a good jigging for further work.
|With the new adapters I simply dropped the body into my homemade jig. The jig is a simple adjustable thing, made entirely of square tubing, enabling the body to be turned around for easy access. It may be moved around on three wheels for instance outside if I need to do some spraying|
Let the FUN begin